A homeowner in Emmett became sick Thursday evening after finding an unknown substance in a plastic bag under his bathroom sink. After opening the bag, the man got sick and vomited, experiencing a burning feeling in his nose, eyes, and throat as well. An adult female who came into contact with him also had the burning feeling.
The Emmett Police Department, Emergency Medical Personnel, and the Emmett Fire Department all arrived at the home for a hazardous material assessment. Emmett Deputy Fire Chief Mike Giery called the Region III Hazmat Team in Caldwell where a decision was made to contact the 101ST Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team (WMD-CST). The WMD-CST is a National Guard Unit to respond to a chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear incident in the United States.
This incident is still under investigation. The male and female were transported by Boise Ambulance to St. Alphonsus for an assessment, and there is no word on their condition. We'll update this story as we get more information.