News

Actions

Oily rags cause fire at Boise home

EXRqd9VU0AE-7iu.jpg
EXRrQc5UMAEh53d.jpg
Posted at 4:26 PM, May 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-05 18:26:09-04

BOISE, Idaho — The Boise Fire Department was called to a fire on the 4000 block of W. Clinton in Boise at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday. One person was in the home at the time of the fire, but they got out okay.

A pile of oily rags used to clean a stain spontaneously combusted. The Boise Fire Department reminds people never to leave cleaning rags in a pile.

Rags should be hung outside or spread on the ground to dry, and then put in a metal container filled with water and covered with a lid until they can be thrown away. Containers with oily rags should be kept in a cool place and out of direct sunlight.

One firefighter is being evaluated for a possible back injury. The Boise Burnout Fund is helping the homeowner.