We now know the identity of the man found deceased in the Boise foothills after an officer-involved shooting Saturday morning.
The Ada County Coroner's Office says 42-year-old Benjamin C. Barnes of Boise died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
The Ada County Coroner's report indicates there were two gunshot wounds: one fatal, and one non-fatal.
Boise Police were first called to the Hull's Gulch area Saturday morning around 9:30 after dispatch received reports of the man now identified as Barnes, threatening hikers and their pets with a handgun.
Police say the man fatally shot a hiker's pet dog.
Responding officers contained Barnes to the Kestrel Trail near the Foothills Learning Center, but police say Barnes fired shots at officers.
The officers involved have been identified as follows:
- Officer Eric Johnson, 14 years with the Boise Police Department
- Officer Robert Johnson, 11 years with the Boise Police Department
- Officer Andrew Johnson, 16 years with the Boise Police Department
- Officer Chris Zimmer, 4 years with the Boise Police Department
- Officer Chris Wirshing, 10 years with the Boise Police Department
- Officer Tyjuan Lynn, 1 year with the Boise Police Department
The Ada County Critical Incident Task Force is investigating the shooting.
The officers involved remain on administrative leave.
At the time of the release, the Ada County Coroner's Office was unsuccessful in locating family for the deceased. If you have information on the family of Benjamin Barnes you can contact the Coroner's Office at (208)287-5556.