NAMPA, Idaho — A heads up if you use I-84 in Nampa: major construction is scheduled to start this week!
The work will be adding lanes on I-84 between the Karcher/Midland and Franklin Boulevard interchanges. Crews will be out on Monday preparing the work zone. Construction on the entire corridor starts on July 15.
ITD officials say all lanes will stay open during the morning and evening commute through construction, but there will be lane shifts in the work zone and a few overnight lane restrictions.
“Even though two lanes will be open in both directions during commute times, it is more important than ever to focus on driving well through the work zone,” said Amy Schroeder, ITD Program Manager of the I-84 Corridor expansion. “Traffic may be shifted around the work zone from one week to the next. Attentive driving will keep everyone safe and reduce unnecessary traffic backups.”
Construction in 2019 and 2020 will include:
- Adding a third lane to eastbound and westbound I-84.
- Adding a fourth “auxiliary” lane in both directions between interchanges. Auxiliary lanes allow traffic to travel between two exits without merging with through traffic.
- Replacing the Northside Interchange with a Single Point Urban Interchange.
- Rebuilding several bridges over the railroad, irrigation canal and Mason Creek.
- Completing the replacement of the Karcher Road Overpass.
- Widening the eastbound off-ramp and modifying signals at the Franklin Boulevard Interchange.
There will be more construction on I-84 west of the Karcher Interchange, including replacing the Middleton and Ustick bridges, and widening I-84 to Franklin Road in Caldwell.