Elderly woman caught in Nampa fire passes away

Posted at 12:15 PM, May 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-20 19:31:42-04

An elderly woman who was badly burned in a garage fire and explosion on May 19th has passed away, according to Fire Marshal Phil Roberts.

Officials say that the fire was caused by a family member who was refueling a lawn mower.

Some fuel was spilled onto the floor of the garage and was ignited. The fuel can that was located nearby tipped over and spilled while the fire was burning. 

The person working on the lawnmower then ran through the back of the garage to escape.

The elderly woman heard explosions and stepped into the garage to see what was happening.  The woman was overtaken by the flames and was unable to exit the garage.

An off-duty firefighter heard the explosions and had his daughter call 911.  The man and an occupant at the home were unable to help the woman due to the size of the fire.

Firefighters arrived on scene and were able to quickly extinguish the flames.

The woman was transported to a hospital where she later passed away.