Actions

Cause found in Meridian restaurant fire

KIVI-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:38 AM, Oct 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-17 09:38:05-04

A kitchen smoker that was not properly cleaned started a fire at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit restaurant in the 2800 block of East Overland Road late Saturday afternoon –- a fire that caused an estimated $60,000 to $80,000 in damage, according to a Meridian Fire Department spokesman.

“We were fortunate in that one of our engine crews was training with a Boise Fire Department engine crew right around the corner from the restaurant at the time,” said Meridian Fire Department Fire Marshal Joe Bongiorno. “We so arrived on the scene almost immediately.”

Boise Fire Department crews helped Meridian Fire crews fight the fire.

There was extensive smoke damage to the kitchen area that is entailing manpower-intensive cleanup, Bongiorno stated. “The fire set off two automatic sprinklers, so there was extensive water damage as well.”

The fire was reported shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

There were no injuries.Clean-up crews were at the restaurant Monday repairing the damage, Bongiorno said.

There is no indication when the restaurant will re-open.