For the first time in several years, Boise State University will host -– and sponsor -- the Southwest Idaho Regional Finals of the National Scripps Spelling Bee. The event will be held on March 11th of next year at the BSU Student Union Building Simplot Ballroom.
The winner will advance to the 2017 Scripps National Spelling Bee in the Washington, D.C., area.
Although the event is approaching, it’s not too late to get the Early Bird registration discount. The $145 discounted fee ends Oct. 14, BSU officials said. Schools can still register for $220 until Dec. 12. You can register at spellingbee.com.
Teachers in third- through eighth-grade classrooms and homeschool parents are encouraged to register their school.
Each school or home-schooled family must enroll separately.
Teachers should check with principals or superintendents to coordinate registering their schools. Homeschoolers are welcome to register directly at spellingbee.com. Fees vary for homeschool families.
Once registered, participants will receive exclusive online access to:
• Grade-specific word lists and study sheets for grades 1–8
• Study materials for your school spelling champion
• The “2017 Classroom Pronouncer Guide”
• The “2017 School Pronouncer Guide”
• From Encyclopædia Britannica, a free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids that you may award to one student at your school (a $69.95 value)
• Materials to conduct your Great American SpellCheck fund-raiser
• Award certificates
• Key information about your local spelling bee program
All participants must meet Scripps Spelling Bee requirements outlined on spellingbee.com.
The Regional Spelling Bee has not had a sponsor for several years, meaning young spellers have not been eligible to participate in the National Spelling Bee. This year, Boise State has stepped in to be the sponsor for southwest Idaho, encompassing Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley and Washington counties.
For more information, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Scripps is the parent company of KIVI-TV)