World No. 1 golfer Scottie Scheffler shoots 66 at PGA Championship after being charged with assault of police officer

Scheffler was seen in handcuffs hours before his scheduled tee time at one of golf's majors.
Scottie Scheffler
PGA Championship Golf
Posted at 5:44 AM, May 17, 2024

World No. 1 golfer Scottie Scheffler, who was arrested by police Friday morning outside the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Course in Louisville, Kentucky, shot a 66 in round two of the tournament.

Scheffler was set to tee off at 8:48 a.m. Friday, but the PGA Championship had been delayed due to a fatal accident near the course, not involving the golfer.

Mugshot of golfer Scottie Scheffler.
Mugshot of golfer Scottie Scheffler.

A police report obtained by Scripps News says Scheffler attempted to drive around traffic when Det. Gillis "stopped the subject and attempted to instructions."

The report contends that Scheffler "refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground.

ESPN reported that the golfer was pulled out of the vehicle and handcuffed.

ESPN reporter Jeff Darlington, who witnessed the arrest, said Scheffler asked the reporter for help while he was placed in a police vehicle. An officer in the video can be heard telling a reporter, "Right now, he's going to jail and there ain't nothing you can do about it."

After being booked on four criminal counts, including assault of police officer, criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding signals from officers directing traffic, Scheffler returned to the course and teed off around 10:08 a.m.

In a statement released by the PGA Tour, Scheffler said offered his take on the series of events.

"It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do," he said.

“I never intended to disregard any of the instructions,” the golfer added.

Steve Romines, a Louisville-area criminal defense attorney, told reporters there was a "miscommunication."

"He did exactly as he was instructed to do to enter the premises," Romines said in an interview aired by ESPN, adding that the golfer cooperated fully.

The police report says Det. Gillis was taken to the hospital for medical treatment.