Pedro Platzeck’s straight set win at No. 5 singles clinched the match for Boise State as the Broncos defeated Michigan State 5-2 Saturday afternoon in Boise. Boise State won the doubles point and collected singles victories by Kyle Butters, Brian Foley, Platzeck and Thomas Tenreiro to get the win over the Big Ten’s Spartans. The Broncos moved to 9-7 overall with the victory while MSU went to 10-8 overall.
Boise State earned the team doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Butters and Toby Mitchell recorded the first doubles win 6-2 over Alexander Kim and Mac Roy. The Bronco tandem is now 11-5 on the year and 6-2 in spring duals while playing on court one.
Michigan State (10-8) at Boise State (9-7)
3/12/2016 at Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
Boise State 5, Michigan State 2
1. Kyle Butters/Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Alexander Kim/Mac Roy (MSU) 6-2
2. Abe Hewko/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. Michael Dube/Colin Harvey (MSU) 5-5 DNF
3. Brian Foley/Pedro Platzeck (BSU) def. Jasper Koenen/Billy Shisler (MSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles 1,3
1. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Mac Roy (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Michael Dube (MSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Jasper Koenen (MSU) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kyle Butters (BSU) def. Billy Shisler (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) def. Alexander Kim (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ivan Rakic (MSU) def. Abe Hewko (BSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
Order of finish: 4,1,3,5,6,2