CANYON COUNTY, Idaho — UPDATE: Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District identified more West Nile positive mosquitoes in Nampa over the weekend.
The mostquitoes were found in the north part of Nampa near Wilder, according to the district. So far more than 1,000 mosquito pools have been tested for vector borne diseases, with nine testing positive.
The district has treated the area where the positive mosquitoes were discovered.
West Nile virus has been found in several mosquitoes in Canyon County.
The Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District (CCMAD) detected the virus in mosquitoes near the Boise River in Caldwell and at two sites near Lake Lowell, the district announced Monday. The CCMAD routinely sets traps throughout the county to watch viruses in adult mosquitoes and has currently tested 764 pools this season for the virus, according to CCMAD.
Both areas where the mosquitoes carrying the virus were found have been treated.
“Most people who become infected with West Nile virus do not become sick. Some may develop mild flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache, body aches, and occasionally swollen lymph glands or rash. In some cases, West Nile virus may cause encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain,” said Jaime Aanensen, Division Administrator Southwest District Health, in a news release. “Individuals with severe or unusual headaches should seek medical care as soon as possible.”
CCMAD recommends taking the following precautions to reduce the risk of being exposed to the West Nile virus:
- Eliminate all sources of standing water that can be a breeding ground for biting mosquitoes such as flooded fields, wading pools, clogged gutters and old tires. If it holds water for 7 days it can produce mosquitoes.
- Flush or change water in water troughs and bird baths weekly.
- Adjust irrigation to avoid runoff to city storms drains and other areas that hold water.
- Avoid outdoor activities at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when in mosquito infested areas.
- Use mosquito repellents containing DEET, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, IR3535 or Picaridin making sure to follow the directions on the container.
- Make sure all screen doors and windows are in good repair and fit tightly.