BOISE, Idaho — February is Heart Month, and much of keeping your heart healthy comes from having the right diet and staying active.
Registered dietitian Molly Tevis serves as regional dietitian for Albertsons. She suggests incorporating more vegetables into your diet. Plant foods contain fiber which help flush out cholesterol from your body. Other ways to incorporate fiber include eating whole grains like oats, whole wheat bread, barley, beans, lentils, and quinoa. Tevis also suggests adding nuts and seeds to your diet.
For more heart healthy ideas, aim at adding fish two to three times per week. One quick and easy way to do so is with these salmon teriyaki lettuce wraps.
· 2 5-oz salmon filets (preferably wild salmon & with skin removed--can be substituted with pouch or canned salmon)
· 2 Tbs Signature SELECT™ sesame & ginger Teriyaki marinade, Island teriyaki marinade (or similar)
· 1/2 cup diced yellow or red bell pepper
· 8 Leaves O Organics® living butter lettuce, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels (green leaf, romaine or iceberg lettuce can be substituted)
· 1/2 cup jicama matchsticks (jicama cut into thin, 3-inch long strips)
· 2 green onions, white and green (sliced diagonally)
· 1/4 cup Snack Artist® dry roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (soy nuts or other nut can be substituted)
Step 1--Line a 9-inch baking dish with foil and preheat the broiler with rack positioned about 6 inches from the heat source.
Step 2--Coat the foil with cooking spray (or brush lightly with canola or extra virgin olive oil). Place two salmon filets on the foil and spread a tablespoon of marinade over each filet.
Step 3--Broil about 4 minutes, then turn filets. Spread the remaining tablespoon of marinade over the salmon filets. Broil additional 4 minutes or until salmon is cooked through at the thickest part of filet.
Step 4--Break up the salmon into small pieces in the baking dish and blend with the marinade/drippings in the dish. Stir in more teriyaki marinade, if needed (about a tablespoon). Add diced bell pepper and stir.
Step 5--To prepare each wrap, put several jicama matchsticks down the center of each leaf, add salmon mixture and then top with green onions and chopped macadamia nuts.
For more heart healthy dinner ideas, click here.