Rental assistance money still available in Ada County

Posted at 5:43 PM, Apr 30, 2021
and last updated 2021-06-29 09:38:07-04

ADA COUNTY — Idaho News 6 reported in February about $12 million Ada County applied for and received to help those struggling to pay rent and utilities because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Now, almost $7 million dollars in rental assistance has been given to Idahoans in need and over 1,000 households have been served in Ada County — and there is still more money available.

“We were able to hit the ground running. As soon as we got the money, we turned a portion over to the housing authority and they have been doing an excellent job helping people, through no fault of their own, who were having trouble making rental payments and utility payments,” Ada County Commissioner Rod Beck said.

According to the United States Census Bureau, 1 in 7 renters has reported being behind on monthly payments.

Millions of people are currently protected by the federal eviction moratorium set to expire in July, but Ada County residents have a chance to receive rental assistance money to help catch up.

Tenants, as well as landlords who are able to apply on behalf of their tenants, can apply for assistance. The help does not only include rent, but it also supports electricity, gas, water sewer, trash removal and any other additional energy costs.

“Anything that’s COVID related," Beck said. "They can get ahold of the housing authority on Orchard or just go to the website. It's the Boise City Ada County Housing Authority and they can take an application and they can get help. This is for help. Its short term help in case they have COVID related issues."

So how do you know if you are eligible? Applicants need to meet the following qualifications:

  • Have a current lease agreement
  • Meet the eligibility income requirement
  • Have a documented loss of income due to COVID-19
  • Not receive any other assistance from another source.

To start on the application process, you can visit the Boise city and Ada County Housing Authorities website where you can find more information on who to contact or ask questions to.