Teacher in Hawaii mistakes Pine-Sol for apple juice

Posted at 8:12 PM, Dec 02, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-03 09:12:39-05

HAWAII — There was a close call at a preschool in Hawaii.

The Hawaii State Department of Health says a classroom assistant mistook Pine-Sol for apple juice while serving snacks.

The assistant at Kilohana United Methodist Church in East Oahu was preparing a snack for the children and grabbed a bottle of the cleaning liquid from a clean-up cart in the kitchen on November 27.

The assistant apparently mistook it for apple juice because of its similar color, the school's director told the health department inspector.

A classroom teacher smelled the cleaning product and stopped students from drinking it.

EMS evaluated three students who took small sips of the cleaning liquid, but none of them needed treatment.

One parent whose child was in the class says she was shocked a mistake like that could happen.

The State Health Department says each year about a dozen people accidentally ingest Pine-Sol, and half of them are kids.

CNN contributed to this report.