CUPERTINO, Calif. – Apple announced Tuesday that it has committed to becoming 100% carbon neutral across its entire business by 2030.
The tech company says its corporate operations are already carbon neutral, but now it plans for its supply chain and product life cycle to be too.
The new commitment means that by 2030, every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact, the company said.
Apple also released a report Tuesday, detailing its plans to reduce its emissions by 75% by 2030 while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its comprehensive footprint.
Apple released a “Climate Roadmap” it will follow as it seeks to lower emissions.
Some key points of the plan include increasing the use of low carbon and recycled materials in its products, lowering energy use at its facilities, relying solely on renewable energy, tackling emissions through technological improvements, and investing in forests and other nature-based solutions to remove carbon from the atmosphere.
To support its efforts, Apple says it’s establishing an “Impact Accelerator,” which will focus on investing in minority-owned businesses that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain and in communities that are disproportionately affected by environmental hazards.
“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”