News

Actions

Meridian Police issue reminders involving remote-start vehicles

Posted: 8:32 AM, Nov 26, 2019
Updated: 2019-11-26 10:32:39-05
Meridian Police investigating carjacking

MERIDIAN, Idaho — With winter approaching, the Meridian Police Department reminds citizens of the dangers that come with remote-starting vehicles inside of a garage.

While the remote start feature is convenient, it can lead to a buildup of odorless fumes called carbon monoxide, leading to dangerous symptoms. These symptoms include suddenly feeling tired, nauseous, dizzy, or headaches. High levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal, causing death within minutes.

“Starting vehicles inside a garage is a step in many people’s morning routines, but we want our citizens to be safe about it,” said Deputy Chief Tracy Basterrechea. “Opening the garage door prior to turning the ignition on is a quick and easy way to prevent harmful gasses from filling the garage and home.”

Additional Safety Tips:

  • Never leave children in a car unattended, especially a running vehicle.
  • In cold weather, drive with a window lightly cracked to allow air flow.
  • If you feel that you may be experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure get to fresh air and call 911.

In addition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends drivers to have their exhaust system checked by a certified mechanic to make sure it’s in good working order.