As coronavirus cases are climbing across the country and region, cases of STIs are also climbing, Malheur County Health Department is warning.
Cases of other diseases, including Hepatitis A, Hepatitis C, HIV, TB, and gonorrhea have been going up, according to Malheur County Health Department. On top of STIs, officials say there have been several confirmed cases of flu and COVID-19 reinfection.
"We know people are struggling and need a lot of help," says a Malheur County Health Department statement. "We are grateful we have so many partners who help us serve our vulnerable community during difficult times. We will only get through this by going through it together. We are more interdependent than ever, which is what makes us stronger. Please help us walk the talk and show we are a resilient community of integrity."
Malheur County is under Oregon's two-week pause, one of the strictest measures in the nation, until Nov. 18. The two-week freeze includes:
- Limiting social get-togethers (indoors and outdoors) to no more than six people, total, from no more than two households.
- Limiting faith-based organizations to a maximum of 25 people indoors or 50 people outdoors.
- Limiting eating and drinking establishments to take-out and delivery only.
- Closing gyms and fitness organizations, recreational facilities, museums, indoor and outdoor entertainment activities, sports courts, and gardens.
- Limiting grocery stores, retail stores, and pharmacies to a maximum of 75% capacity and encouraging curbside pickup.
- Closing venues (that host or facilitate indoor or outdoor events).
- Requiring all businesses to mandate work-from-home to the greatest extent possible and closing offices to the public.
- The freeze does not apply to personal services, outdoor recreation, youth programs, childcare, or schools.
As Idaho reverts to a modified Stage 2, MCHD officials are asking people to minimize close contact with others, stay home when possible, reconsider holiday plans and to wear a mask when in public and with people from outside your home.