Idaho Fish and Game Commission allowing more non-resident license sales

Posted at 10:27 AM, Apr 09, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-09 12:27:53-04

BOISE, Idaho — The Idaho Fish and Game Commission has made amendments to provide clarity and allow more non-resident sales. On April 9, the previous decision to temporarily end sales of some non-resident licenses, tags and permits was amended to allow sales under certain situations.

Non-residents who bough a black bear tag before the temporary suspension on April 4 can now buy a bear bait permit. That is only available through mail and at department offices.

It was clarified that non-residents who had a written but unsigned agreement with a licensed outfitter before April 4 are allowed to buy licenses, tags and permits for the outfitted trip. Written examples include an agreement or letter signed by the outfitted client, an email exchange agreeing on trip terms, written confirmation or reservation or an exchange of emails with payment of a trip deposit.

People who moved to Idaho to establish residency under six months ago, or who have not gotten an Idaho driver license within 90 days of residency are still allowed to purchase a non-resident license, tag or permit under these conditions:

  • Person produces an Idaho driver’s license or Idaho Identification Card issued by the Idaho Transportation Department
  • Person produces two documents issued by a third party showing name and Idaho residence address, such as rent, mortgage receipts or utility bills
  • Person signs a declaration demonstrating intent to become an Idaho resident.

People who are eligible to buy license and tags under these criteria must contact a Fish and Game regional officeor headquarters via phone to arrange for the purchase of eligible nonresident items.