Graphic new details released in Columbia High stabbing

Graphic new details released in Columbia High stabbing
Posted at 12:08 PM, Dec 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-08 14:40:11-05

New details were released Friday in an attack that occurred  Monday at Columbia High School in Nampa, in which a 17-year-old male student reportedly stabbed a 17-year-old female student.

Court documents now identify the suspect as Wyatt Aidan Weist. Prosecutors say he will be tried as an adult, charged with attempted first-degree murder.

Shortly after 1 p.m. Monday, police responded to a report of a stabbing in the rear parking lot of the school, located at 301 S. Happy Valley Road in Nampa. Officers detained Weist. The victim, whose name was not released, was transported to St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise.

After being read his Miranda Rights by investigators, Weist identified the victim as his ex-girlfriend, and said there had been “a lot of drama going on” between the two, following their recent break-up. “She arranged for us to meet in the parking lot by her car. I knew it would escalate into an argument. I became extremely frustrated and attacked (her). ... I felt very strong feelings for her and all I wanted to do was give her love and support ... and she just left me ... saying she wasn’t interested in me,” Weist said. “I blame her for my mental state today. I am unstable, depressed ... I don’t know what’s going on.”

When asked about the attack, Weist told officers, “I know I tried to stab (her) repeatedly. It’s because of her that I went out seeking attention and trying to find someone who DID care about me. ... It felt like I just blacked out ... all I wanted to do was inflict damage.”

The investigator asked Weist if he was trying to kill the girl. He responded, “Yes,” according to the probable cause affidavit.

The document says Weist stated, “All I know is, I stabbed her in the arm. ... She was trying to defend herself ... first, I was trying to go for her stomach. ... (Then) someone grabbed my wrist and I couldn’t stab her anymore. As soon as someone grabbed my wrist, I kind of came back and stopped. No more conflict.”

He identified the weapon as a SOG Fielder knife with a black handle that his father had recently purchased at a local Walmart.

The investigator asked Weist if he carried the knife on a day-to-day basis. He replied, “No. I only carry it if I feel the need to. If there is a situation going on such as today ... as I feel that perhaps I might be unsafe, then I will carry my knife in my pocket.”

Weist was then asked by investigators if he had thought about harming the girl since the breakup. He responded, “I both love and hate her. I don’t think about killing her very often. I would say .. for awhile after the break-up .. then those thoughts went away -– until today.”

He added, “I know ... murder is illegal and it’s not okay to kill anyone, really. But the pain she caused ... there is no doubt about it now, I need psychological help.”

Records show the victim sustained two superficial lacerations to her left forearm, three lacerations to her left shoulder, one laceration to her left breast, and one laceration to her left abdomen.

The victim told police “Wyatt had the knife high above his head when (someone) said Wyatt ‘was trying to kill me.’” She said “Wyatt was holding the knife in his hand in an ice-pick grip.”  

The report said the suspect kept screaming “You ruined my life!” during the attack.

Weist was arrested for attempted first-degree murder and was transported to the Canyon County Juvenile Detention Center.