BOISE, Ida. — Governor Brad Little proclaimed June 24th “Census Day” in Idaho, announcing the creation of a new committee to assist federal partners in completing the 2020 Census Count.
The U.S. Census Bureau conducts a population count every 10 years. Census results help determine the allocation of federal funds and electoral redistricting. The results also help inform business and policy-making decisions at all levels. American households will receive an invitation to participate by April of 2020.
“The 2020 Census Count is a top priority for our state and country, and I encourage Idahoans to participate,” Governor Little said. “The State Complete Count Committee I am assembling will ensure we achieve a fair, accurate, and complete Census count, with special emphasis on enumerating members of historically undercounted population groups.”
Idaho was one of the top performers for individual response rates during the 2010 Census Count, and Governor Little said he hopes Idaho accomplishes top response rates again during the 2020 Census Count.
“Maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of citizen information will remain at the forefront of the 2020 Census Count in Idaho,” Governor Little added.
Secretary of State Lawerence Denney and former state legislator Wendy Jaquet will co-chair the “State Complete Count Committee.” The group makeup is still being determined but will include members representing the following groups or organizations:
- Conservation Voters of Idaho
- Law enforcement
- Idaho Housing and Finance Association
- Idaho Community Foundation
- Coeur d'Alene Tribe
- Idaho Association of Counties
- Association of Idaho Cities
- Idaho Education Association
- Idaho Hospital Association
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Idaho Commission on Hispanic Affairs
- Idaho Transportation Department
- Idaho Department of Commerce
- Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
- Idaho Department of Labor
- Idaho Commission for Libraries
- Idaho Division of Veteran Services
- Representatives from the Majority Party in the Idaho Senate and Idaho House of Representatives
- Representatives from the Minority Party in the Idaho Senate and Idaho House of Representatives
The committee will meet for the first time later this summer. It will meet periodically as Census organizers require assistance leading up the spring of 2020. Additional information about the 2020 Census is available here.