CANYON COUNTY, Ida. — Today, people in Canyon County can say goodbye to household hazardous waste and electronics waste during a free quarterly disposal event.
Pickles Butte Sanitary Landfill is hosting the event in the northwest parking lot of the Ford Idaho Center in Nampa. People can drop off their household hazardous waste and e-waste from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is free for Canyon County households.
Commonly accepted items for disposal include:
· Cleaning Products: oven cleaners, drain cleaners, wood and metal cleaners and polishers, toilet cleaners, tub and shower cleaners, tile cleaners, bleach, pool chemicals.
· Indoor Pesticides: ant spray and baits, cockroach sprays and baits, flea repellents and shampoos, bug sprays, houseplant insecticides, moth repellents, mouse/rat poison and baits.
· Automotive Products: motor oil, fuel additives, carburetor and fuel injection cleaners, starter fluids, automotive batteries, transmission and brake fluid, antifreeze.
· Workshop/Painting Supplies: adhesives and glues, furniture strippers, oil or enamel based paints, stains and finishes, paint thinners and turpentine, paint strippers and removers, photographic chemicals, fixatives and other solvents.
· Lawn/Garden Products: herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, wood preservatives
· Household Batteries and Fluorescent Light bulbs: nickel-cadmium batteries, lithium/lithium ion batteries, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs.
· Other Flammable Products: propane tanks, kerosene, home heating oil, diesel fuel, gas/oil mix, lighter fluid
· Electronic Waste: cell phones, computers, monitors, printers, audio/video, small devices (iPods, gaming devices), other equipment with a cord
Biological and radiological waste will not be accepted. No explosives, ammunition, or prescription drugs will be accepted either.
Qualifying Canyon County businesses may also take advantage of the quarterly disposal event by calling Stericycle at (208) 761-6242 and scheduling an appointment. Businesses must pre-qualify as a "Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators" (CESQG). A CESQG must generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste or 2.2 pounds of "acutely hazardous waste" per month.
For more information, please contact Canyon County Public Information Officer Joe Decker at (208) 455-6090 or Pickles Butte Sanitary Landfill at (208) 466-7288.