NAMPA, Idaho — Twelve families living in the Orchard Street apartment complex in the 400 block of West Orchard Street in Nampa have been displaced, after a fire ripped through the building shortly after 7 a.m. Thursday.
Flames and heavy smoke were seen pouring from a third-floor apartment when Nampa Fire Department crews arrived a few minutes later. Crews quickly called for a second and third alarm, bringing in additional firefighters and trucks from the Meridian, Middleton and Caldwell Fire Departments.
“We had the fire under control by about 7:45,” said Nampa Fire Marshal Ron Johnson. “The entire building received heavy smoke and water damage.”
Red Cross officials are helping 29 people with their immediate needs after the fire. This includes food and housing for those who were displaced. The organizations is working to replace medications and items like eye glasses and walkers.
They are also connecting clients with mental health services and other community resources.
No tenants were injured. “However, two of our firefighters suffered minor injuries. They were treated by paramedics on the scene, and were released back to duty,” Johnson said.
Preliminary reports say the fire was caused by a person improperly disposing of a cigarette that apparently had not been completely extinguished, he added.
Adam Henline is a tenant who lives in the apartment just below the unit where the fire started. He was able to shoot phone video of the flames.
(photo courtesy: Adam Henline)