News

Actions

Fire damages donated Idaho Humane Society furniture

Posted: 12:59 PM, May 07, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-07 18:59:32Z

BOISE — The Idaho Humane Society lost a full storage unit of donated office furniture in last week’s two-alarm fire at the Stor-It Self Storage facility on Maple Grove Road in west Boise.

The fire broke out about 5:10 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1st.

“The IHS storage shed was one door away from the last unit with fire damage, and the equipment and contents have been rendered unusable due to smoke damage,” said Idaho Humane Society spokesperson Kristine Schellhaas. “The unit held about forty office chairs, desks, file cabinets, and a conference room table which will all need to be replaced. Stor-It Self Storage had kindly donated the storage unit space to IHS over the last year as furniture was collected.”

The Idaho Humane Society has connected with a local business to replace the items, but will be fundraising to help raise money to purchase the goods already selected.

“We are saddened to lose the furniture destined for our new building. While it was donated to us, it was in amazing shape; this will now affect our budget moving forward,” said the Humane Society’s Chief Development Officer Jimmy Hillig.

If any interested parties are willing to match donations collected for the office furniture cost, you are urged to contact Hillig at: jhillig@idahohumanesociety.org .

The Idaho Humane Society has received no taxpayer support for this project and is building the facility solely through individual donations, corporate giving, and grant support.

(photo courtesy: Idaho Humane Society)