Eagle Academy locked down as police investigate social media post

Posted at 11:09 AM, Dec 15, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-15 19:27:41-05

Police cleared Eagle Academy on Friday after a social media post alluding to a school shooting.

The lockdown occurred after a student saw a message on Snapchat, from a 14-year-old student, that appeared to suggest a school shooting at the alternative high school in Eagle, Idaho and reported it to administration.

The school went into lockdown approximately 10:45 a.m., after officials called 911, with law enforcement on scene in within minutes. Police cleared the building and set up a staging area near by while they investigated.  West Ada officials also arrived to handle questions.

Police determined the threat was not real and released the school to resume again at 11:30 a.m. A press conference is scheduled for later this afternoon. The student that initiated the incident is with law enforcement and cooperating, they have not been charged or arrested at this time.

School will proceed as scheduled after students return from lunch, parents have the option to remove students from school today if they choose according to the West Ada school district spokesman.

“The power of social media needs to be instituted with our children,” said Chief Patrick Calley with the Eagle Police Department. “It is a powerful and influential tool when used incorrectly, and it was used terribly today.”

“Their response was unbelievably quick and in large force,” said Eric Exline, school district spokesman. “Which is really awesome from the school district’s standpoint.”

And with the five-year anniversary of the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting just the day before, officials say the incident serves as a reminder for the need to always be prepared. 

“We’re practicing this. We’re rehearsing this,” Called said. “We want this right because when this is real, we have a zero margin of error, and we want to make sure that our children are safe.”