News

Actions

Propane fire video from Council: Snow broke the propane line says Idaho State Fire Marshal

Shifting snow broke the propane pipe
Posted at 6:16 PM, Feb 06, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-06 20:16:50-05

The Idaho State Fire Marshal posted a video to their Facebook page illustrating what caused a fire last Tuesday in Council: a broken propane pipe caused by shifting snow which had been pushed off a business owner's roof.

It shows a store employee checking a pilot light under a water boiler in response to a propane smell.  The employee leaves the room... and minutes later, a ring of fire spreads across the floor, returning back to the broken propane pipe, which then fuels a fire.

"Let the firefighters take care of the situation so there's no longer a danger and you quite possibly could be saving you or your family's life," said Knute Sandahl, the Idaho State Fire Marshal.