Early voting in Canyon County starts tomorrow, and one thing on the ballot will look familiar: a bond to cover the cost of building a new county jail.
This is the fourth time efforts to improve jail space will be left to voters. The first three times, it failed to get the required two-thirds majority.
County Officials say they simply need more space to keep up with population growth in the Treasure Valley. A series of public town halls will take place over through mid-May to give community members the chance to ask questions before casting their ballots.
In total, it would cost property owners about $95 per $100,000 of taxable value.
Here is a schedule of those town halls:
- May 6 Middleton at 7:00pm Trolley Station 310 Cornell St.
- May 8 Parma and Notus at 7:00pm Parma Rural Fire Protection District 29200 US-95
- May 9 Melba at 7:00pm Tower Theatre Friend’s Center 321 Carrie Rex Ave
- May 13 Nampa at 6:00pm Nampa Public Library 215 12th Ave S.
- May 14 Wilder and Greenleaf at 7:00pm Wilder Rural Fire Protection District 601 Patriot Way
- May 15 Caldwell at 7:00pm Canyon County Administration Building, 1st floor 111 N. 11th Ave.