UPDATE: Red Lion Hotel suspect in custody

Posted at 12:24 PM, Jan 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-01-22 00:29:02-05
After close to 4 hours, police arrested 35-year-old Jacob Taylor of Boise at the Red Lion Hotel off Fairview Avenue. The Boise Police Department says they responded to the hotel just before 8am to take Taylor into custody for a felony warrant. But after several hours and attempts at a quick resolution,Taylor ended up in handcuffs with even more charges.
"We request that he come to us so that we could take him into custody and he immediately ran back into the room and barricaded himself in his room," explained Patrol Officer Joe Martinez with the Boise Police Department.
Authorities say Taylor tried to avoid police by climbing across hotel room balconies that are several stories up. Looking at his criminal history and not knowing if he had a weapon, A SWAT team was called in and the 6th and 7th floors where evacuated. 
"Once those people were out of there it just kind of gave us the ability to focus on the suspect and get him down securely and safely as well," said Officer Martinez. 
Police say they were able contain Taylor to one room, and negotiators were able to get him to surrender at 12:47 PM. No one was injured. 
"Fortunately it worked out great today using the equipment and training they were able to get the suspect out without any problems," said Officer Martinez.
Taylor will now not only have to answer for his warrants from the Idaho Department of Corrections and for failure to appear, but also faces charges for resisting and obstructing. 


Boise Police say the subject holed up inside the Red Lion Hotel is possibly armed and parts of the hotel have now been evacuated.

Dozens of Boise Police cars surround the Red Lion Hotel in Downtown Boise.  Hotel employees tell 6 On Your Side that the situation started around 8 A.M. Saturday morning.

According to police, there is a subject holed up in a room at the hotel.  Police negotiators, a mobile sub-station and an armored car are on scene.  It is unknown if the subject is armed.

As of noon on Saturday, the hotel has not been evacuated, but SWAT has moved in on the top floor.

We have a crew on the scene and will provide updates as they become available.