BOISE, Idaho — Muddy trail conditions are expected through the weekend and people are asked to avoid several trails and areas due to mud.
Due to light snow and rain this week, many trails in the Ridge to Rivers system are muddy when temperatures are above freezing. If you are planning to hike, run or ride this weekend, head out early when the trails are still frozen to prevent damage.
If you start leaving tracks, turn around. Using muddy trails causes damage due to the makeup of the soil that is prevalent throughout the Boise Foothills.
These are the trails and areas to definitely avoid this weekend:
- Polecat Loop in Polecat Reserve
- Table Rock trails
- Sweet Connie Trail off Bogus Basin Road
- Cottonwood Creek Trail in Military Reserve
- Bucktail Trail, Two Point Trail and Ridge Crest Trail in Military Reserve
- Full Sail Trail near Hillside Junior High School
- Trails in the Hidden Springs area
Owl's Roost #57 is a recommended all-weather, beginner trail in Hulls Gulch Reserve that goes through a riparian area with lots of native vegetation. Bird watchers may see roosting owls on the .64-mile trail.