BOISE, Idaho — Officials are calling a recent house explosion in McCall a good reminder that injuries and even death can result from improper use of propane. A faulty valve can also be blamed for some explosions so being aware of potential dangers can save lives.
As part of their annual hazardous materials week, the Boise Fire Department is focusing in on propane leaks. The training will provide them with better knowledge on how to safely mitigate propane leaks in the Treasure Valley.
Today we trained on a simulated propane leak. This training is part of our annual Hazardous Materials Week & provides the BFD Hazardous Material Team the abilities to safely mitigate propane leaks. @fedresources and Suburban Propane supported us today. pic.twitter.com/EL7ImSP1Hk— Boise Fire Dept. (@BoiseFire) April 16, 2019
"Whenever it's a gas leak it's definitely considered not just a routine fire call, it would be considered a hazardous material call," said Captain Roy Mitchell from the Boise Fire Department.
And if you smell gas, shut it off and report the leak. Officials say to not return to the building until the area has been cleared.