The Boise Fire Department says they see a considerable increase in kitchen fires during the holiday season, especially on thanksgiving.
Last year, the department responded to 113 cooking-related fires and this year so far, about 40 percent of the fires they have responded to were kitchen fires.
The department recommends staying in the kitchen at all times to keep an eye on your cooking. They say if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, do not use the stove or stove top. Keep combustible items like cereal boxes, oven mitts and utensils away from the stove top.
Boise Fire does have some recommendations if you get yourself into a heated situation.
"If you’re cooking with oil in the kitchen, have a lid handy so that if the oil catches on fire, just slide the lid easily over that pot and extinguish the fire, turn off the burner and don't touch the pot until it's fully cooled down. Whatever you do, do not put water on a grease fire, that will make it a lot worse," said Ron Johnson, Division Chief, Assistant Fire Marshall, Boise Fire Department.
The Boise Fire Department also says if you do choose to deep fry your turkey, do it outside on a flat level surface not on a combustible deck. Make sure the turkey is fully thawed. Your oil should be no more than 360 degrees to minimize risk of fire and of course always stay with the deep fryer while cooking.