Body recovered from Salmon Falls Reservoir, one man hospitalized after boat sinks

Posted at 7:28 PM, Nov 02, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-06 15:20:43-05

TWIN FALLS, Idaho — One man is hospitalized and another is dead after the boat they were in sank Friday morning in Salmon Falls Reservoir.

Twin Falls County dispatch got a 911 call around 9:55 a.m. Friday reporting two men were on a boat that was taking on water.

Twin Falls County deputies, Air St. Luke’s, MV Paramedics and Fish and Game Officers responded.

65 year old James A. Wilson of Jerome was pulled from the water and transported by air to St. Luke’s Magic Valley.

The Cassia County Dive Team responded to assist in efforts of locating the downed boat and missing boater. The boat was eventually located using sonar and a buoy was placed to mark its location. The search was called for the night.

Efforts resumed at 9:00 a.m. Saturday with additional resources as deputies and search and rescue dive teams from Bingham and Bonneville Counties arrived to assist in locating and recovering the body of Dr. Eugene Holm, 80, of Heyburn.

With the use of an underwater drone, searchers were able to verify the boat was upright at the depth of 103 feet, and confirmed the body of Dr. Holm was on-board. Divers were then sent in to bring his body to the surface. This was accomplished at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

"At this time the team is attempting to bring the boat to the surface," the Twin Falls Sheriff's Office said in a press release. "We would like to extend our deepest gratitude to the teams and volunteers that responded to assist with these efforts."

The Twin Falls and Cassia County teams returned to the area on Tuesday to recover the boat. 18 people, including five divers, worked all day to bring the boat to shore using air lift bags.

After pumping water out of the boat and examining it, Lt. Daron Brown stated the accident happened when the exhaust manifold blew apart--leaving a 5 inch diameter opening. Water rushed in through the hole and filled the boat, according to officials. Jim Wilson, the survivor of the incident, said he heard a loud bang and saw the water coming in before he dialed 911.