Summer grilling season is here and just in time for Memorial Day weekend Good Morning Idaho is celebrating BBQ Week.
Today, we talk with Executive Chef for Albertsons Companies Jeff Anderson for a look at some backyard recipes that aren't just your average burger or hot dog.
Once you watch the interview be sure to check out the recipes we've included below so you can spice up your holiday cookout:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings Per Recipe: 4 burgers
Serving Size: 1 burger
1/2 cup Signature SELECT™ French roast coffee beans, whole
1 Tbs coriander seed, toasted
1 tsp cumin seed, toasted
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs sea salt
1 Tbs fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red chili flake
1 lb Open Nature® ground beef
4 Tbs coffee crust
4 slices sourdough bread (note: burger is served open face, if top is desired add additional 4 slice bread)
6 Tbs mayonnaise
8 thick red onion slices
8 thick heirloom tomato slices
2 cups arugula
8 avocado slices
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the coffee crust:
· Dry-toast coriander and cumin seed in cast iron pan over low to medium heat, until aromatic.
· Grind coffee beans in coffee grinder.
· Combine and grind coriander, cumin, sea salt, black pepper and chili flake. Add together coffee, spices, garlic and sugar, reserve for seasoning burgers.
2. Divide ground beef into four equal portions, shape into uniform patties. Season formed patties with coffee crust on both sides.
3. Heat grill to medium-high, season grates with non-stick spray or oil.
4. Place burger onto grill surface and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Toast sourdough bread on the grill, toast both sides. Dress bread with mayonnaise, then build burger in the following order: arugula, tomato, burger, onion, avocado and extra virgin olive oil.
Nutritional Information: Calories 1079, Total Fat 60.6g, Saturated Fat 13.1g, Monounsaturated Fat 28.1g, Polyunsaturated Fat 13.8g, Trans Fat 1g, Cholesterol 86mg, Sodium 2805mg, Potassium 1196mg, Total Carbohydrate 97g, Dietary Fiber 11g, Sugars 18g, Protein 39g, Vitamin D 40g, Calcium 171g, Iron 10g
Signature Apple-Ginger Soda Spritzer
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Serving Size: 1 glass of soda spritzer
1/4 cup ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 cups ice cubes
Signature Kitchens® apple juice
2 Tbs ginger syrup
2 cups soda water
2 Tbs lime juice, fresh-squeezed
4 lime wedges, sliced
1. To prepare ginger syrup: in a small sauce pot, combine ginger, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
2. Once syrup is brought to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook down to 1/2 cup. Then, strain and reserve.
3. In a large pitcher, combine ice, apple juice, ginger syrup, soda water and lime juice, then stir to mix.
Divide between 4 large glasses, adding extra ice as desired. Top with sliced lime wedges and enjoy!
Nutritional Information: Calories 157, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 4mg, Potassium 114mg, Total Carbohydrate 46g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 42g, Protein 0g, Vitamin D 0g, Calcium 13g, Iron 0g
Signature Brown Sugar Bacon Parfait
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings Per Recipe: 2
Serving Size: 1 parfait
Brown Sugar Bacon:
6 slices Signature Farms® hickory bacon
3 Tbs brown sugar
2 large pinches ground black pepper
4, 2-ounce scoops Signature SELECT™ vanilla ice cream
4 Tbs brown sugar bacon (several whole pieces, several crumbled)
4 Tbs crunchy peanut butter
4 sprigs mint leaf
2 shakes powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Arrange strips of bacon onto "crinkled" aluminum foil sheet.
2. Sprinkle brown sugar and black pepper onto each strip. Bake for 6-8 minutes, then check for doneness. The bacon should take 10-12 minutes to get crispy. Once done, remove from oven, cool slightly and use for parfait.
3. Chill serving glasses prior to preparing the parfait. Scoop out 4, 2-ounce scoops of ice cream.
Layer parfait glass beginning with vanilla ice cream, then peanut butter and crumbled brown sugar bacon. Repeat layers.
Finish each parfait with a large piece of brown sugar bacon and top with a mint leaf and shake of powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information: Calories 636, Total Fat 40g, Saturated Fat 14.5g, Monounsaturated Fat 8.3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 68mg, Sodium 347mg, Potassium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 59g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 50g, Protein 15g, Vitamin D 14g, Calcium 194g, Iron 1g