MAGIC VALLEY — Health advisories were issued for two Magic Valley reservoirs that have been found to have harmful algal blooms.
Recent samples taken from the waters in Cedar creek Reservoir in Twin Falls county and Thorn Creek Reservoir show unhealthy levels of cyanotoxin and microcystin.
Harmful algal blooms usually don't occur in the warm weather, but the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality says the unhealthy levels are a cause of a recent cyanobacteria harmful algal bloom in the reservoir.
The South Central Public Health District and the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality are advising the public to avoid exposure to the water in those reservoirs, do not drink the water in these reservoirs and do not allow pets to drink the water or eat dried algae.
if you plan to fish in any harmful agal bloom water, it is recommended to remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking.
The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality urge the public to call their regional office if they see any a harmful algal bloom.
For more information, you can visit the DEQ's website.