BOISE, Idaho — Canyon County Sheriffs' deputies are being praised for saving a 16-year-old boy's life.
Officers responded to a report of a possible overdose at a Caldwell home around 10:20 Tuesday night. Police say the boy had ingested marijuana and an unknown substance and began gasping and having a seizure.
Deputies say when they arrived the boy was on the floor convulsing, and still breathing but became unresponsive a short time later. A deputy gave the boy a dose of Narcan to him, which caused him to gasp before becoming unresponsive again. The deputy gave him a second dose, and the boy regained consciousness.
The boy was transported to a local hospital, but his condition is unknown. Sheriff Kieran Donahue says the training his officers went through made all the difference.
“I want to commend my deputies for their quick-thinking last night that likely saved this young man’s life,” said Sheriff Kieran Donahue. “It’s a testament to the training our deputies go through to handle these types of situations, particularly when you consider that the deputy who administered the Narcan was a trainee working patrol duty alongside a senior officer.”
The Canyon County Sheriff's Office reminds the public of the dangers of illegal drug use, and urge citizens to be cautious of what they are putting in their bodies.