US Army seeks death penalty against soldier in 16 Afghan killings
SEATTLE (AP) -- The Army says it will seek the death penalty against Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers in a predawn rampage in March.
Pretrial hearings were held for the 39-year-old Bales last month at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle. He faces premeditated murder and other charges in the attack on two villages in southern Afghanistan.
Prosecutors said Bales left his remote base in southern Afghanistan early on March 11, attacked one village, returned to the base, and then slipped away again to attack another nearby compound.
Bales' wife, Kari Bales, said in a statement Wednesday that she and their children have been enjoying their weekend visits with Bales, and she hopes he receives an impartial trial.
No date has been set for the court martial.