Meridian Police: Apartment where young marine died had defective carbon monoxide detector
Eric Fink has the story. Video by IdahoOnYourSide.comvideo
Three days after Carbon Monoxide poisoning claimed the life of 18-year-old Private First Class McQuen Forbush inside a Meridian apartment, police say the unit had a defective detector.
Currently the International Building Code does not require carbon monoxide detectors in homes, but the Meridian Fire Department highly recommends homeowners install such a device.
Carbon Monoxide detectors should be located on every level of your home if possible," Meridian Deputy Fire Chief Chris Amenn said. "If you can only afford one it should be with six to 10 feet of your sleeping area so it can wake you at night."
According to the Center for Disease Control, 500 people die every year from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include frequent headaches, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath.