Grove Hotel evacuated after candle sets off sprinklers
What’s being described as a combustible Halloween decoration caused some tense moments in downtown Boise Monday afternoon.
Boise firefighters responded with a full high-rise response after an alarm from the 15th floor of the Grove Hotel. The alarm and sprinklers were apparently activated by a candle burning in a Halloween decoration left outside one of the residential condominiums. The hotel suffered no fire damage. The sprinkler activation caused water damage to the 13th, 14th and 15th floors of the high rise hotel.
"Our firefighters train frequently on how to best respond to the numerous high-rise buildings we have downtown. Today, firefighters showed they're ready with a quick, efficient, safe response," said Boise Fire Marshal Romeo Gervais.
"Firefighters were quickly able to implement a search of the upper floors, identify the hazard and work with building managers for a safe, orderly evacuation. We're very pleased this incident ended quickly with no one hurt and no fire damage," he said.
Firefighters did not find any fire.
The hotel was briefly evacuated with only a minor disruption to ongoing business.
Firefighters helped clean up some of the water damage done to the upper floors, due to the sprinkler activation. Much of the damage will be repaired by the building’s own maintenance staff.