On Your Side
Parents concerned about detergent packets making kids sick
Jennifer Auh reports on parents worried about small detergent packets. Video by IdahoOnYourSide.comvideo
Small packets of detergent are making some little kids sick, because they look more like candy than soap.
Keeping toddlers from putting small objects in their mouths is almost impossible. It’s only been a few months, since the mainstream versions of the small detergent packs came out in our store shelves.
Since then, almost 3,000 cases nationwide have been reported of children getting sick, from the detergent packs, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
In fact, health experts said it’s a painful experience when children ingest the packet. Their throats swell up from the chemicals and many kids experience vomiting.
In terms of the product working on laundry, the packets are getting good reviews online for its convenience.
However, many parents told us some changes need to be done to make the product safer for small kids. Some parents suggested making the container child-safe and adding a secure wrapping for each packer.
Detergent brand, Tide did make its large container harder to open. However, the smaller packing still remains easily accessible for anyone.
Central District Health Dept. Spokesperson Dave Fotsch told us parents should just put the detergent packets high up and out of reach from children.
If your child happens to ingest a detergent packet, make sure to call the Poison Control Center right away.