Idaho health workers warn swimmers of parasite
TWIN FALLS, Idaho (AP) -- Officials with the South Central Public Health District are warning swimmers that a parasite outbreak is making some southern Idaho residents sick.
A press release from the health district says cases of cryptosporidiosis have been reported in Gooding, Lincoln, and Twin Falls counties over the past 10 days.
The parasite cryptosporidium can live in human and animal digestive tracts and can spread through swimming pools and other recreational water sites that are contaminated with human or animal waste.
People usually contract the illness by swallowing contaminated water. It causes diarrhea, cramping, fever, nausea and vomiting and most people recover without medication. District Health epidemiologist Mary Jensen told The Times-News that anyone with the illness should stay out of the water for at least two weeks after their symptoms subside.
Information from: The Times-News, http://www.magicvalley.com