Fumes from a pop bottle bomb sends officer to the hospital
Boise officers were dispatched to a home just east of N. Shamrock and W. Edna Streets last night, Monday just before midnight.
According to police, a citizen called 911 reporting hearing what sounded like two loud pops. The first officer arrived just moments later and found remnants of a plastic pop bottle and foil at the house. As a second officer arrived, the first officer, who had inhaled the gases from the exploded device began coughing and experienced difficulty breathing.
Officers moved back and telephoned the residents inside the home advising them to close all windows and doors, shut off air conditioning or any source that could draw air into the home. Officers blocked the road to limit any potential harm to others. Ada County Paramedics were called and the officer was transported to a nearby hospital where he was treated and released for his injuries. No one else was injured.
The Boise Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials team was also called to investigate. After testing, Haz Mat experts found the pop bottle bomb was made with common household cleaners. Those cleaners do contain acidic solutions that can cause eye, skin and throat irritation upon contact.