Pie Making Tips
Marie Callenders came into GMI to give us tips on making a perfect pie this Thanksgiving Video by IdahoOnYourSide.comvideo
Marie Callenders joined Spencer & Gemma on Good Morning Idaho to talk pie making tips for this holiday season.
Here are some of their tips for perfecting your own pie at home:
1. Start with a great crust. It should be flakey like and have the right ratio of flour to shortening. You can also find ready-made crusts in your grocer’s freezer.
2. Use quality pumpkin.
3. The spices that you use make a huge difference. We use a high-end cinnamon (Saigon), high heat dry milk, cornstarch, and pumpkin spices in our dry mix.
4. Make your filling a day ahead of using it. This allows all of the ingredients to blend together and improves the flavor.
5. Use ice cold water and cold, whole eggs.
6. Use a rubber spatula when making the filling, and again just prior to using to stir the product. Do not use a wire whip. You do not want to add air into the filling. This could produce air bubbles, which may rise to the surface of the pie.
7. Bake the pie the day you are going to eat it to ensure freshness.